Even though it may look like some kind of rice, buckwheat is not a grain but a fruit seed. It is highly packed with nutritional value and this has grant it the privilege to be called a super food. Buckwheat is a gluten free seed that adds important amounts of dietary fiber, protein and antioxidants that will keep you feeling without hunger for longer. One cup of buckwheat will provide around 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of dietary fiber. It can be used in similar ways as you may use rice but it has many more nutritional benefits. You can also find it under the name of Kasha, which it’s a type of toasted buckwheat groats.
I usually eat buckwheat with a salad as a side for a lite meal. My kids love it too. The only change I make to this recipe to please one of my sons is that I will chop the mushrooms smaller than I would usually do (I love chunky pieces of mushroom) as one of my kids doesn’t like to eat big pieces of mushroom. It’s a little concession I gladly make to have happy healthy eaters at home!
My kids are always experimenting with food and they came up with the idea to add a little Liquid Aminos Sauce to this dish once it’s served. I find it a delicious addition. It will give it a punch of flavor and an oriental flare. Liquid Aminos Sauce is a healthy alternative to regular soy sauce. If you want to try it, just add a little over your dish, the same way you would do with soy sauce in an oriental dish when it’s already served and ready to eat.
- 1 cup of buckwheat.
- 2 cups of water or vegetable stock.
- ½ cup of onions.
- ½ cup of chopped mushrooms.
- ¼ cup of diced carrots.
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped green peppers, celery.
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Liquid Aminos Sauce.
- Put all ingredients in a rice cooker and...that’s it! It will be done in around 20 minutes.
- It's so easy to make.
- If you don’t have a rice cooker you can use the same pot you usually use to make rice.
- If you want to try this recipe with the Liquid Aminos Sauce, just add a little over your dish, the same way you would do with soy sauce in an oriental dish after is served.