Hello guys! When I came back from my last trip to N.Y.C. I was feeling my sinuses congested. It didn’t feel like a severe allergy attack or like a cold or the flu. It was just me waking up with my nose congested everyday. Since it didn’t seem to be going away on it’s own, I did what I usually do to take care of this problem and since it is something simple and natural that always works for me, I want to share it with you!
You might have heard about it in the Oprah Show a few years back. Not many people use it regularly or know about it’s wonderful benefits, but I know many people that suffer from allergy symptoms and that use it often, even daily, and they all swear by it’s effectiveness. It has always work great for me too. The simple tool I’m taking about it’s called a Neti Pot, and you can find it in most pharmacies and natural health stores. I only use it whenever I feel congestion in my sinuses or if I feel that I have being exposed to lots of dust, allergens, chemicals, pollutants, etc.
If you think about it, we constantly clean our bodies, hands, hair, teeth, etc., but never take care of cleaning our nostrils and sinuses properly, which are a big entryway for toxins, allergens, bacteria, and other compounds that can cause irritation, infections, and other complications when they enter our bodies.
The Neti Pot is a simple tool used with a sterile saline solution to wash away all the dirt, allergens, and toxins that we inhale daily and that many times remain stock in our sinuses. By using it, we are helping the little hairs inside our nose work properly to move mucus and everything that needs to stay out of our system and that can cause irritation and infection. It’s pretty effective in preventing sinusitis and in decreasing the amount of allergy medication allergy sufferers usually need to rely on.
It might seem like a weird practice at first but the Neti Pot has being used for thousands of years with success. Its use originated in India, where it was widely use as a purification technique. The procedure might seem weird at first but once you do it once, you’ll realize there’s nothing complicated or strange about it.
So, if you want to give it a try, below you can find what you’ll need as well as the procedure you should follow to use it effectively:
- 1 Neti Pot (usually made of plastic or porcelain).
- ¼ tsp of salt or a pre-packaged Neti Pot saline solution.
- 1 cup of distilled, or sterile water.
- A small pot to warm the water.
- Warm 1 cup of water (to the point where it’s nice to the touch).
- Add ¼ of salt (it could be any type of salt: sea, Himalayan, regular) or the contents of 1 pre-packaged envelope of Neti Pot saline solution.
- Put the water mixture in the Neti Pot.
- Stand in front of a sink and tilt you head a little forward (like you do when you spit the toothpaste after washing you teeth).
- Keeping your head forward, turn it to your right, as if you would want to look at your shoulder while still having your head tilted forward.
- Place the tip of the Neti Pot on your right nostril (the one that’s towards the ceiling).
- Tip the Neti Pot to fill your nostril with the saline water. You will feel as your sinuses are being filled with the liquid. You will still be able to talk. If you feel some saline water going down your throat that means you should tilt your heal a little bit more forward.
- Pour about have of the content of the Neti pot into one nostril.
- Repeat the same procedure to your other side using the last half of the solution on your left nostril.
- Once you are done you can blow your nose gently without blocking your nostrils.
Do not use tap water. Water needs to be sterile. If you want to use tap water you should boil it first for five minute and let it sit until it cools down and it’s comfortable to the touch.
Always clean your Neti pot after you use it with liquid soap and water and make sure you are using a clean Neti Pot every time.
You can do this at any time during the day (some people even do it twice a day) but it’s better to do it at least 1 hour before going to sleep to avoid any occasional uncomfortable dripping.
You can click here to find the Neti Pot that I currently use. It comes with pre-measured packages to mix them with water and use in your Neti Pot. I like this one because it’s unbreakable and very good for first time user that doesn’t want to bother measuring up the salt. You just warm a cup of water and add the small package to it. You don’t need to measure anything else. If you prefer a porcelain Neti Pot, this one here is a really nice one that I have used before. With both you can either buy the pre-measured packages or add the salt yourself to make the saline solution that you will be using.
I will love to hear if you have used it before or if you’d give it a try!