Hellos friends! Today I’m sharing with you my basic tomato pasta sauce. Pasta dishes are one of the first kinds of dishes that everyone thinks they have to stop eating if they want to loose weight, or if they want to eat healthier. It does not have to be that way. Almost all types of foods have a healthier version of them. I love to make this pasta sauce in big batches and have it pre-made waiting in my fridge or freezer for when I know I will not have time to cook something from scratch.
My favorite way to have pasta is to have zucchini noodles (also known as zoodles) Instead of buying the typical pasta made out of wheat, I also love to buy different versions made with healthier ingredients like lentils, quinoa, rice, or corn (best if they are non GMO).
In theory, traditional tomato pasta sauce to top your favorite pasta should be really good for you. Loaded with vitamins, fiber, minerals and nutrients that your body needs. The problem is that many commercially made tomato pasta sauces (specially the more popular ones) are filled with preservatives, thickening agents, low quality oils that will cause inflammation in your body, and lots of sugar.
You can find a few pretty good tomato pasta sauce options already made in some supermarkets but make sure to read the ingredient list before you decide which one to buy. I have made the recipe I’m sharing with you today hundreds of times and everyone in my family loves it. There’s something priceless about eating food made with fresh and healthy ingredients that will make you feel and look good.
If you know how to chop veggies and how to turn on your oven and blender, you can do this simple sauce. It’s just a matter of gathering the ingredients, putting some good music, and enjoying some stress free time in the kitchen.
- 8 tomatoes cut in 4 pieces.
- 1 onion cut in 4 pieces.
- 8 garlic cloves.
- 1 pepper cut in 4 pieces.
- 2 dates cut in 4 pieces (soak them in water while the veggies are in the oven). Or you can use 1 tbsp of honey instead.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar (balsamic or apple cider).
- 8 basil leaves.
- Oregano and rosemary to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Oil a baking pan with the olive oil and place the cut vegetables (tomatoes, onion, garlic).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 350 F (180 C).
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool off a little.
- Put in the blender the baked veggies with all the juices along with the basil, rosemary, oregano, soaked dates (or honey), and vinegar.
- Blend everything together until you get the consistency you like.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- If you want a thicker sauce, you can cook at medium heat until the desired thickness is achieved. You can also add a little bit of water and cook it for 5 minutes if you want a thinner consistency.
Hope that you enjoy it as much as we do in our family!
Healthy Happy Wishes,